Tuesday, March 17, 2009

suspicious no more

I no longer have to wonder. Today while driving #4 home from school, we passed WE walking down the road with a cute little girl. Of course, being his mother, I proceeded to blow the horn and wave at him. I've got to get my fun somehow. :P

I got proactive on the whole abandoned car situation tonight. First, I dug around in the car and found a paper with a name, phone number and address on it, so I called the number. There was no answer, but I left a call back number, but didn't expect results. So, then I called the police to see what I could do to get it officially abandoned and they told me that since it wasn't on public property, they couldn't do anything. But they said if I called a tow truck, the driver would take it and get paid from the owner when he tried to claim it. So, I call a tow company and they said they'd be right over. While I was on my way to the bottom of the drive to deal with the tow truck driver, henceforth referred to as TTD, I get a phone call. It's the guy who owned the car. He had this massive Mexican accent and I could barely understand what he was saying. I told him the car was getting towed and he'd have to deal with the tow company. (bear with me here, this story DOES have a point)

I hang up with Mexican Accent Guy (now referred to as MAG) and go deal with TTD. TTD tells me that unless the police are there to officialize the cars abandonment, he's going to have to charge me $50. I tell him about MAG and TTD calls MAG on his cell. Now, this was interesting because MAG had the previously mentioned Mexican accent and TTD spoke heavy pidgin. I only here TTD's side of the convo, and it sounded like this: This is T&T Towing. I'm here fo' take your car. Where you like fo' me to take it? ...Your broke car, bra, where you like it go?....Da lady don' want da broke car at her place. She want for me to take it. Where you like fo' it to go?...Da broke car at da ladies place. He finally hangs up, rolling his eyes at me from the obvious stupidity of the guy who didn't know what he was talking about. TTD said he was going to get MAG and bring him back to the car so MAG could pay him and get the car out of my driveway. I'm good with that and go back into the house. But wait! The story's not over yet!

TTD calls me again about 5 minutes later and needs me to open the gate at the end of the driveway so he can get the tow truck in for the hook-up. We've been having problems keeping the gate to stay opened, so I figured it would be best for me to go down there with the clicker to make sure it stays open. So, I'm boogying down the drive as fast as I can. And when I get near the bottom of the hill where the tow truck was, I slip on some rocks, land on my butt and slide a foot or so down the hill, right in front of the stupid truck. While I'm down there, I click the gate open then get up and brush off my butt while the TTD is busting a gut at my performance. Well, the good part is that the car is finally out of our driveway and MAG even apologized for leaving it there so long, which is good. Now we don't have to worry about a bunch of illegal immigrants coming back and seeking revenge on us for getting their car/home towed away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, that's embarrassing!! He could have atleast helped you up instead of laughing.
By the way, it's always fun to tease your kids.It keeps us young.

Anonymous said...

Glad you got that resolved. Sounds like you had to go through a lot to do so.