Saturday, March 7, 2009

I hate this

We just got back from Matt's funeral. 31 years old is too young to die. Seeing his little boy standing there by the casket was just awful. Matt tried so hard to overcome his addiction. He had no idea the first time he did drugs that the end result would be that he'd never see his little boy grow up. Nobody plans to be an addict, but it happens. If only people would think of the possibility of addiction BEFORE they did drugs the first time, things would be so much better in this world. We're trying to use Matt's story to help our kids make the right choices in their lives. But I wish we only had generic examples to choose from and not someone we knew personally.

3 comments:

anonymous said...

my brother is an alchoholic. He's only 37 with 4 little boys (ages 18 mos - 10 yrs) and I'm pretty sure that if something doesn't change he won't be with us much longer. He's had addictions for a long time (since we were teenagers) and unfortunately he just doesn't seem to see the need to change (out of fear I'm sure). It's hard on the entire family but especially his kids and his wife. I won't hesitate to use him as an example for my own kids.
I'm so sorry you lost your friend and that his little boy has to grow up knowing his dad died from something so stupid and so preventable. It really does suck. I hope he doesn't go down the same path.

Anonymous said...

My deepest sympathies on your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family left behind.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, DD. I'll be thinking of you and your family.
- Afton