Wednesday, January 14, 2009

sometimes you gotta help a brudda out

Our friend Mark can be a bit of a doofus at times.  He's the one who accidentally drained the water garden at our old house last month.  Well, yesterday he came over to our house and said that he'd pulled up too close to the gate at the end of the driveway with his truck.  The gate scraped along the hood of his truck.  When he came over today, he was ready and held the end of the gate up so it wouldn't drag along his truck again.  Best case scenerio would be that he wouldn't pull so freakin' close to the gate, but that one hasn't dawned on him yet.  So today, I took a can of white spray paint and painted a line across the driveway along the path the end of the gate takes.  Now, if Mark can just figure out to keep his truck on the correct side of the line, he should be all right.

The two older kids went back to school today, the two younger ones do tomorrow.  YAY!  It's time for them to go back, they're driving me nuts, though it was fairly quiet around here today.  Angel #4 went back with Maddie (her best friend and Mark's daughter), so it was just WE and his friend here, and they were rather peaceful for a change.  Tomorrow will seem like pure heaven. 

Book Review Tuesday:  The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood.  Meh  Sometimes I don't know what's worse, knowing right from the beginning that a book isn't going to have a happy ending, or getting it unexpectedly sprung on you at the very end.  This one was the former, starting off right away with Laura Chase's suicide, then flip flopping from present, to past to really really past, to a bizarre science fiction story interwoven into the whole works.  I'm sure there was some deep philosophical meaning to the whole thing, but I didn't find it...I didn't try too hard either.  I'm not good with hidden meanings, foreshadowing and that kind of thing.  I think if an author wants to say something, they should just come right out and say it.  But, that's just me, I'm kind of a practical, tell it like it is kind of person.

1 comment:

anonymous said...

Didn't she write A Handmaid's Tale? Or am I thinking of something else? I love that book. I could read it every year and not get sick of it.