Saturday, January 10, 2009

Cords, Cords, Everywhere

It started out simply enough.  I had to fill out some paperwork for our business.  I couldn't find all the information I needed in our files, so I knew I was going to have to set up the work computer.  We have a computer whose only purpose is for me to enter our business stuff on.  No internet or anything, just a basic PC.  I haven't set it up yet from the move simply because we have enough business stuff still sitting in our bedroom that hasn't been dealt with yet and I didn't want to add anymore to the chaos.  But it was time to bite the bullet.  First off, I had to find the tower, which had mysteriously disappeared - it turned up under a desk.  The monitor was easy as was the cord to attach the monitor to the tower, but then things started getting complicated.  I needed a mouse and keyboard, as well as a power cord to plug the tower into an outlet.  We have a tub where we keep all our miscellaneous computer stuff in, oh so effectively labeled "Computer Stuff".  Problem was, during the move, we took all the cords and things lying around and shoved them all into the tub randomly and things were so tangled up that I couldn't even manage to get anything out of there.  I yanked things out and started winding up cords and tying them up with twist ties.  But you can't just throw them back in the tub, that's where this mess got started in the first place.  Grabbing my box of gallon sized zip-locks, I started sorting them and labeling the bags.  I did this until it got too dark to see down there (there's no lights in the basement), then finished up the job this morning.  I found the cord, mouse and keyboard I'd been looking for, though I still haven't gotten around to setting up the computer, or finishing the paperwork that started this mess in the first place.  Neither have I, despite having about 10 chargers of unknown origin and another dozen download cords, found the missing cords to either our digital or video cameras.  I've got the sinking feeling there's another tub, also labeled "Computer Stuff" still floating around here someplace.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

It is amazing how our technological world makes things easier and oh so complicated at the same time.
Good luck in your unpacking!!!!