Friday, January 2, 2009

I managed to stay up til midnight!

I'm not too into the whole 'stay up to midnight to bring in the new year' thing, but it got late so fast last night that by the time I realized I was tired and wanted to go to bed, it was quarter to twelve, so I figured I might as well stay up. Besides, I knew the Angels, along with the rest of the state of Hawaii, would be setting off fireworks at midnight and I wasn't going to get to sleep til that was over anyway, so I just went out on the lanai and watched the fireworks go off all over town. We've got a gorgeous view of the entire town off our front lanai, one of the benefits of living on the side of a mountain.

Today for lunch, we invited our friends Denis and DeAnne and Mark and Deborah over. Mark and Deborah live in Michigan and come to Hawaii every year for an extended vacation, so we've got to know them a bit over the last 3 years. We had a really nice time and the weather was warm and sunny, so we could eat out on the lanai and look at the view over lunch. Life doesn't get any better than that - especially since the rest of you are bundled up and shoveling snow. :P

After falling woefully behind in laundry during our move, I'm happy to say that I'm almost all caught up now. I have to do it a little differently here than I did at the last place since it's so damp up here. We've got clotheslines in the open basement area under the house and I hang the clothes up there and let them get as dry as possible overnight. Then, the next day I have to throw them in the dryer for 10 minutes or so to get the last of the dampness out of them or else they'll mildew. I really hate having to use the dryer, but since it's a gas dryer and I only need it for about 10-15 minutes per load, I guess I can suck it up.

No comments: