Sunday, January 4, 2009

busy Saturday

Hubby, the machete master, was hard at work again today hacking away at the long grass and stuff by the big tree in the back yard.  There's a huge long rope hanging from one of the branches - about 40 feet long - and he wanted to make sure there weren't any trees or branches sticking out that the kids could hurt themselves on when they were swinging.  The whole area, like much of the rest of the property, is surrounded by a lava rock wall, and he worked his way around the borders of that wall.  It's starting to look really nice around here.

Now that I've got an oven again, I've been doing a lot of baking.  Yesterday, I made some bread and had an inspiration.  We had some leftover rice from supper the night before, and I dumped the rice into the bread dough while I was kneading it.  It turned out really good, so I think I'll be doing that more often.  I also formed some of the dough as long rolls so we could make sub sandwiches out of the leftover turkey we had from last nights supper.  They were very much good, if I do say so myself.  :)   The turkey came from our neighbor from our old house.  He gets a holiday turkey every year from work and since he doesn't have an oven in his apartment, he gave the turkey to us, which is pretty nice of him.  Turkey and stuffing with the fixings is my favorite meal of all time.  YUM!

No comments: