Friday, March 23, 2012

It's a boy, and a girl, and another girl and...heck, I don't know what they are

So, the baby chicks started hatching this morning. It's going really slow, we've only got 6 hatched so far, which isn't too good out of 21 eggs, but it's better than nothing. After getting skunked yesterday, I thought the whole batch might be bad. Afterall, it's supposed to take 21 days to hatch, I started the eggs on March 1st and it's the 23rd today, so they're all waaaay behind schedule. Hopefully they keep coming out. I'd like at least a dozen out of this deal.

I'm glad I got those raspberries and rhubarb planted this week. We had a slow, drizzly rain all day today, perfect for setting the plants nicely in the garden. Too bad the temperatures dropped down after our beautiful weather we've had. It's still in the 50's & low 60's, which is nothing to turn your nose up at.

I've also discovered that when trying to tell someone how you hurt your wrist, starting the story by saying: "I was hauling half a pig down to the basement in a laundry basket" is not a good way to have them listen seriously to the rest of the explanation. Angel #2 laughed for a good 5 minutes before she calmed down enough to hear the rest of the story. I also got a weird look from the lady at the butcher shop when I picked the pig up. She was hauling out packages of meat, then had a plastic bag with an odd looking something in it. She said she didn't know what it was, but it was part of my order. I said, oh, that's probably my half of the head, I've got a recipe that calls for a pig head, I'm going to cut the recipe in half. I'm not sure of the percentage of people who have old family recipes passed down to them where the first ingredient named is 1 pig head, but it's probably not real high. Hubs tends to roll his eyes at my old family recipes.

1 comment:

Afton said...

Pig....head....??

Ok, you can't just say something like that and then not tell us what's for dinner.

Please to explain? :)