Sunday, June 20, 2010

it's hula time

Today I went to a near by shopping center to watch some friends perform with their hula hale. One friend is the teacher-she also is one of the Special Olympics organizers and a bunch more are students. Today was their performance and I'd promised one of the dancers, who's also a SO athlete that I'd go and watch him - Chris, the guy practicing at my work the other day was also one of the dancers. Anyway, the whole group did awesome and it was really fun to watch. I bumped into some other friends who were also there for the show, so we all sat together.

Once I got home, I chatted with hubby a bit on the phone. It appears that his trip to the mainland was profitable in more ways than one and it's looking pretty darn likely that we'll be packing up and moving back up to Wisconsin. Work has pretty much dried up here on the islands but is still available up north, so it looks like it's back up we go. I'm ready to head back up, I'm kind of over the whole living in Hawaii thing. It's kind of funny, most of my friends who moved here from the Mainland love it, but in the last 24 hours, I've talked to friends who grew up on the island, lived on the Mainland for quite awhile, then came back to the island and hate living here. I guess it all comes down to taste and how much you enjoy the weather versus easy access to conveniences. Though our move isn't 100% for sure yet, I'm starting to sort through my house and getting rid of stuff that we really don't need, whether we move back or stay here. We've accumulated a lot of stuff over the last 4 1/2 years and it's really time to start getting rid of things. I love getting rid of stuff, it's so freeing. There are so many things I've held on to, on the chance that I might need it someday - but really, I can't for the life of me come up with a time that I'm going to need 25 sets of wooden chop sticks. Heck, I can't even figure out how to use chop sticks. So, into the garbage they went. I've started filling tubs for yard sale items and I'm going to call a friend to see if I can have a sale at her house - it would be pretty much impossible to have one at our house, it's just too difficult to navigate our driveway. I've also put some stuff on Craig's List and will be putting more on in the future. I'll have a lot of work ahead of me if we actually do move by the end of the summer, I might as well get a good head start.

2 comments:

JeanieC said...

Geez, DD, it seems like you just moved there yesterday. Hard to believe it's been that long.

A couple of people I know who lived in Hawaii made it a few years before moving back so you've made it longer than a lot of people.

Hope it works out that you get to come back up here if that's what you're ready for.

Tanya T said...

Are you sure you are ready for the long nasty winters again?