Thursday, May 10, 2012

Riding in style

Yesterday, I had to pick Angel #2 up from work.  I can see where this is going to be a pain unless she saves up (quickly!!) and gets herself a car.  It's about 3 hours on the road round trip whenever someone has to go get her.  She starts work officially on the 21st of the month and they've asked her to work over Memorial Day weekend, so we shouldn't have to deal with getting her back home again until the first weekend in June.  So anyway, while I was in that direction, I had some errands to run, one of which was to get Rent-a-Grandma's car.  Rent-a-G-ma has been out east visiting her son & DIL and her very first (biological) grandson.  Due to a change in plans, she's going to need to get picked up in Milwaukee rather than at the airport she was originally flying back to.  I offered to go get her, but that would mean that I would have to drive her the 2+ hour drive home, then drive back another hour to get back to my house.  Her son suggested that I get her car and use that to get her so she could drive herself home from my house.  Since we were going to be within 10 miles of her place yesterday, #2 and I swung by and got g-ma's car.  She just got this car a few months ago, it's still got that new car smell and drives like a dream.  After driving a 15 year old mini-van, I got totally spoiled with that cute little red Camry.  It was just too much fun playing with the radio volume controls on the steering wheel and with all those other fun bells and whistles that Ford didn't see fit to put on my old red van way back in '96.  I think I want a new car.

This is another week of track meets.  Angel #4 had one on Tuesday and another on Friday.  WE had one on Monday and one tonight.  He was in 4 events and got 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th places.  #4 is getting better and better all the time and with a bit more practice, I think she'll be a force to be reckoned with.  The big draw at WE's meet on Monday was watching a girl from a neighboring school pole vault.  This girl is GOOD and it's just downright fun watching her fly over that bar.  She got a personal best record that night of 12 feet.  To give you an idea of how good that is, the rest of the girls were done at 7feet.  This is the same girl who shattered the record a couple weeks ago at our schools Invitational at 11ft3in, the previous girls pole vault record was 8ft3in.  This girl is only a sophomore, so it'll be interesting to see how she develops in the next couple of years.  I guess I'm turning into a real Track & Field mom this spring, I'm even starting to remember all the rules and stuff and sound real professional by referring to our teams PR in the 4X4 and how someone 'hit their mark' in the long jump.  Thank goodness track mom's don't have to actually do the running or I'd have to turn in my track mom membership card.

No comments: