Wednesday, March 30, 2011

unlimited monkeys

Today at lunch, hubs and I had an intense discussion about the theory that if you give a roomful of monkey's with typewriters unlimited time, they'll type the works of Shakespeare. I was firmly on the 'con' side of the discussion while hubs was holding fast to the theory that it was possible. We both left the table still convinced that our conclusion is the correct one. So, what do you and your spouse discuss when you're eating lunch?

I've been on a cabbage kick the last couple days. I bought a head yesterday while I was grocery shopping and for supper I made pirogies cooked up with shredded onions, carrots and cabbage. Today, I've got a pork roast in the slo-cooker with a couple nice hunks of cabbage sitting at the top. While I was making the roast, I was also eating sauerkraut straight out of the can. Apparently, I'm making up for some severe insufficiency in my diet...or I'm trying to give my family terminal gas attacks.

In another one of our weird discussions, last night, hubs and I were talking about visualizations. He explained that sometimes it takes him a little while to think things through because his mind has to translate things into pictures in order for him to make sense of it. I've always known that I'm not visual. If you've read any of my books, you'll see that there's very little description in them. What I do have, is kind of throwaway, because I can't picture my characters or their surroundings. I don't know what Moxie looks like and her description in It Takes Moxie is in there because it needs to be. Same with Will and Adeline's house in Eye of the Beholder, the speakeasies Susan and Jake go to in Not Looking for Trouble, and everything else in my books. I think in words, not pictures. So, last night, during our discussion, I tried to pull a picture up in my mind. For the last week or so, I've been working on a jigsaw puzzle and I finished it last night. You'd think that after being intimately involved in every aspect and nuance of a picture, I could visualize it without any problem. But, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't see the entire puzzle. I could picture portions of it, a door, a person, coffee cups, etc, but when I tried to put them all together and see the puzzle in its entirety, I couldn't do it. Strange, huh?

No comments: