Wednesday, January 2, 2013

ObamaCare - how it's done at MY house

Angel #2 sent me this picture today that she found on her computer.  It's Angel #1 removing WE's cast with a metal snips.   This was waaay back when we lived in Hawaii.  There's a bit of a doctor shortage in Hawaii, especially on the Big Island where we lived.  WE needed the cast on for 6 weeks, but when I called to schedule having it removed, I found out that the ONLY doctor that would remove it would be on vacation and he'd have to have it on an additional 2 weeks before she could take it off.  Imagine, if you will, the stench of a cast that had been on a 10 year old boy's arm for over a month in a tropical climate.  There was no way we were going to be downwind from that baby any longer than we had to.  So, Ta-Da!  Do-it-yourself cast removal!  The reason we had his 14 year old brother do the honors has been lost to history, but, needless to say, WE's arm turned out just dandy (though the doctor was a bit surprised to see the cast off when she finally got back so we could schedule a follow-up x-ray).

Today was my first day at work.  I can't remember if I told you or not, but I got a part time job at our school.  My main purpose there is to do the paperwork for the school lunch program, but I also am around to help in the kitchen during lunch period at the elementary/middle school.  Since it was my first day (and there isn't a computer in my office yet - yeah, I've got an office(!!!)) they had me helping in the kitchen today and for the unforeseeable future until they get a chance to teach me what I need to do paperworkwise.  It's only 3 hours a day and I only work when there's school, which is totally cool.  I'm home by a little after noon and I've got the whole afternoon to do my own thing at home.  Life is good.

No comments: