Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I would have sworn they hibernated in winter

We were sitting here in the living room about half an hour ago having family Bible study when suddenly Angel #4 made a horrible face and covered her nose with her shirt.  Then I smelled it and my first thought was that Diesel farted, that dog has awful gas - then I realized that the smell was skunk, which was followed by the quick realization that Diesel was OUTSIDE.  So yeah, WE is in the bathroom right now washing the dog in tomato juice. The Angel and I heard Diesel jump out of the tub and shake off, then WE yelling for him to stop, so I've got the uncomfortable feeling that the inside of my bathroom looks like a giant chili explosion.  On the positive side, I got to try out my new can opener opening up cans of tomatoes to give Diesel a bath.

I've had dealings with skunks in the past, once when we had one on our front porch, hubs opened the door to see what the racket was outside and managed to slam it shut right before it sprayed.  I had to scrub oily skunk spray residue off the door.  The worst episode though was when our two, long haired  collies BOTH got sprayed and I had to scrub them both up, fortunately that time, it was late fall and my garden was full of slightly overripe tomatoes I was just going to let rot, and instead, I put them in the blender and made buckets of tomato mush for their bath.  

**Diesel just got released from the bathroom and is running around the house like a psychopath, rubbing his face on everything.  WE said he got it full in the face and his eyes were swelled up, he was slobbering and was completely out of it.  Oh, what fun.

Oh, and this apparently happened really really close to the house because the whole place stinks to high heaven.

4 comments:

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

Oh, I feel for you! I sent you an email with a much better washing solution to get rid of the smell on the dog at least. Good luck!

Jeanie_C said...

You can save a lot of money by skipping the tomato juice/sauce and using something that actually neutralizes rather than attempts to mask the odor, such as hydrogen peroxide or baking soda.

mommustwrite said...

Oh Delia, so sorry you had such a stinky night. Hope the smell clears up soon and that today is better for you!

Anonymous said...

Try vinegar and water to get the skunk smell out. Spray it one the dog or bathe him in it.....might take 2 baths. Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar it doesn't matter.