Saturday, March 27, 2010

we're turning into one of them

The old guys at the complex where I work love to create drama where there is none - for some reason it usually seems to be centered around the bathroom, but that's neither here nor there. Well, this week we 'young people' have discovered we've fallen into the same trap. One of the guys lives in a little apartment up over our shop - an apartment over a small engine repair shop, not exactly prime real estate. He lives there with his wife and the other day, Tony mentioned that he hadn't seen her around lately. Our first thought was that she was dead (these people are REALLY old) but realized that we would have heard if she'd died. We then decided that she must have run off with Lee, the 90 year old guy who has an alternator repair shop next to ours. I don't know why we picked Lee to be her boy toy, but once the idea was planted, it not only took root, but grew like Jack's beanstalk. We were having way too much fun making up a little geriatric soap opera involving all the oldsters who roam around the shop. A few days afterward, the wife was there on the balcony again where she usually hangs out, so then we made up a new episode where Chuck was trying to win Marilyn back from that womanizer, Lee. Yeah, we really need to be spending more time fixing machines and less fantasizing about the 85 year olds who surround us.

I've been falling behind in life lately, so, since it's been slow at work (and the whole Chuck/Marilyn/Lee love triangle has calmed down), I took today off work to do a little catch-up around the house. I managed to get 3 loads of laundry done, a batch of chocolate chip cookies made, baked 4 loaves of homemade bread, got my bathroom cleaned and, most importantly, got half the final pre-galley edits done on my book. I'm pretty pleased with all I got accomplished today and hope I'm as productive tomorrow. My goal is to get my book finished and sent back to my editor by the end of the weekend. Once that's done, I get my galley copy, which is the last step before the book goes into production. I don't read the galley copy myself, by the time my books at that stage, I've read it so many times that I can't see any errors anymore. I usually have a friend read the galley for me and look for any errors or typos so I can send them in. After 5 years writing and re-writing this book, I'm getting pretty darn sick of it, if you want to know the truth. I was having a hard time doing this last round of edits, I wasn't paying attention to what I was reading. So, I've been reading the entire thing out loud so I can catch any errors. My family thinks I'm nuts...maybe I am.

No comments: