Saturday, January 2, 2010

so far - so good

The new year has progressed pretty much the same as last year. I don't know what I was thinking though, trying to go to bed before midnight. The fireworks were pretty loud, a couple the neighbors shot off actually created a concussion before we even heard the blast. Then at midnight was the annual 'who can make the longest string of firecrackers' contest. We can hear them all from our house and there were some that lasted about 15 minutes - that's 15 minutes of constant firecrackers all strung together. Now that's a lot of firecrackers. Fortunately, enough people were careful of dry conditions this year and we didn't have any major fires, though the fire department was kept busy and got called out to douse about a dozen fires in and around town.

Yesterday, hubby worked on the treehouse with the kids and Angel #4 and her friend slept in it last night. We didn't think they'd make it through the night, but they were still up there sacked out when I left the house at 8:45 to meet a friend for coffee this morning.

I bought a calendar today finally. I thought I'd better do it since organizing my life with sticky notes doesn't work too well. Besides, you really DO need a calendar hanging in your kitchen - it's a law or something. There's some kind of calendar shortage this year. Usually stores have them prominently displayed in December so people don't forget to pick a couple out, but none of the stores I went to did. I had to search Walmart today trying to find them. Turns out they were in the souvenir department and they only had those cheesy tourist pictures of Hawaii ones. Heck, if I want to see Hawaii, I'll look out my window. I was wanting a comic one so I could have a little laugh when I saw it. Heck, even a stupid puppy one would be better than Hawaii in Pictures: a 2010 Calendar. Instead, I've got a year of looking at volcanoes and palm trees. Bo-ring. But, on the bright side, I've got all appointments, days off of school etc marked down, so I shouldn't forget anything important now for the next year.

No comments: