Friday, January 8, 2010

Debbie gets a bath

I rented a carpet shampooer today and have been going to town on my cruddy carpets. They hadn't been cleaned since we moved here a year ago and hadn't been cleaned by the previous tenants, so who knows how long it's been since they got a good scrubbing. If the amount of dirty water I've been dumping down the drain is any indication, it's been a looong time. My main project though is cleaning Debbie's upholstery. Debbie is the name of the car we bought this spring. I don't know what the previous owners were doing in that thing, but Debbie's interior was beyond filthy. I've been wanting to get it cleaned for a long time now, but you know how those things go. Besides, it rains a lot here and I figured it would take forever for it to dry, so I needed to choose my cleaning day carefully or someone was going to be walking around with a wet butt after driving someplace. Well, we're having a horrible drought here, so I figured I might as well take advantage of it and give Debbie a good chance to dry out. So Debbie is sitting outside with her windows cracked and hopefully she'll be dry enough that the kids won't get a wet butt on their way to school tomorrow.

They've finally outlaws talking on cell phones while driving on our island. It went into affect on Jan 1st. They made the law in October, but didn't implement it until the first of the year because, according to the paper, they needed to put up signage telling people of the new law. Well, here it is, 3 months later, the law is in effect and there still aren't any signs warning people that it's against the law to gab on the phone when they're supposed to be focusing on driving. That hasn't stopped the cops from pulling people over - I know one person who got a warning. I'm guessing they'll hand out warnings for the first couple weeks until the word gets out, then hopefully start slapping fines on those people who think that talking to their BFF is more important that paying attention to the road.

No comments: