Monday, April 30, 2012

I'm pleased to say that the baby chickens are doing great out in the barn, despite the fact the the first night they were out there, the temps dropped to the lowest they'd gone in a month.  Even the little guy with the gimpy leg seems to be getting around better now that there's more room.  And, of course, there's the whole, 'no chickens in my house thing' which is obviously wonderful.  

But, my big chickens have betrayed me.  They've been getting out of their pen and they dug up the asparagus that I planted last weekend.  I spent a couple of fun-filled afternoons tacking a row of chicken wire to the original (obvious) non-chicken proof fence we already had up and I think they're contained now.  I saw a hawk flying around the coop a couple days ago, looking like a Chevy trying to use the drive-thru at McDonalds.  I yelled at it and shook my fist.  I hope that'll discourage it from thinking it can make my hens into a 5 pack McNugget combo meal.

Busy week on the sports front this week.  Between WE and Angel #4, there are 4 track meets this week.  Fortunately, we're only expected to go to 2 of them, tonight for #4 and Thursday for WE.  I hope the weather is decent, it's not a whole lot of fun sitting on a cold metal bench, freezing your butt off for 3 hours so you can watch your kid run a 57 second race then jump into a sand pit 3 times.  WE runs the 4X4 relay, which is always the very last race run during a meet, which means we always have to stay til the bitter end.  But, on the bright side, at least it's a non-contact sport and no one is trying to take my kid out with a discus or anything.  WE's worst track injuries have occurred while goofing off in the locker room after practice.

No comments: