Sunday, December 12, 2010

the weather outside is frightful

Hubs picked a good time to hightail it to Hawaii. Late yesterday afternoon we were hit with a monster blizzard that just started settling down about an hour ago. We've got snow, we've got wind, we've got drifts across our driveway. What we don't have is Angel #4. She went home witha a friend yesterday after (winning) her basketball game and was supposed to be home late afternoon. Instead, she's been snowbound there and it looks like she'll be spending another night there as well since their road is still drifted shut. Ours probably is too, I'm just not willing to go outside to get a better look. Some days are best spent inside. The power went off about midnight last night, fortunately, it only was out for about 20 minutes. I was getting a little nervous. I can handle dark and eating cold food, I just didn't want the house freezing. We've got a gas fireplace, but I'm not sure if it ignites without having to use electricity. I started it this afternoon and am going to keep it lit until the danger of the power going out is past. I don't know how they are now, but when I talked to some friends about 20 miles from here at 9 this morning, they'd been out of power for over twelve hours already. It's kind of weird, you'd think we country folks would be the ones losing power, not the ones in town.

Poor Angel #2 got her first crash course in driving in snow last night. Fortunately, there were no other crashes involved. They closed her workplace down early, but it still took her over half an hour to drive the 5 miles home and she was shaking and in tears when she finally got into the garage. She had to dodge fallen trees and gun it over drifts. They closed work again today, which is good, because there was no way I was going to let her drive this afternoon anyway. As it is, I'm not sure when we're going to be able to get the car out of the driveway. We can't get the snow blower started, probably more because we don't have a clue how to start it than because it doesn't work. You'd think all those hours I spent working at a small engine repair shop I'd know how to start a small engine. My only excuse is that we didn't deal a whole lot with snowblowers in Hawaii.

In other exciting news, Angel #2 decided to change her look once again. This time, she's got bright red hair - think Elmo from Sesame Street. It's....odd looking. But she's happy with it, which I guess is all that matters. WE has also been busy playing some online role playing game. He's made a world that all kinds of people go to - I have no idea how it works. Last week, he made an online McDonalds, but so many RP people started suing them that he had to develop a courthouse, hire a judge and have court cases. Because of that, today he had to make an insane asylum, which he said is a lot of fun. But, since people taking their RPing seriously, running the asylum is a full time job. I guess he's going to have to make a security team and a police force now. I guess that's how these things end up happening in real life as well, it just happens faster on the computer. I was asking him how the whole RP world building thing works and I got a vague answer from him. When I asked him if he was doing something nefarious, he turned around and said: "Why do you ask? Did you Google something?" Now I'm REALLY wondering!

No comments: