Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I'm officially sick of Christmas

I want my radio stations back. I want my grocery store back. I want my sanity back. If I have to hear Madonna singing Santa Baby one more time, it's more than her stocking that's going to get stuffed. That's all I'm going to say on that.

On the positive side, however, I'm very happy I live in a community where store clerks, school secretaries, the high school choir, etc, aren't afraid to say Merry Christmas. Seriously, if you're going to celebrate Christmas, don't be afraid to say the freakin' word, and if you don't like the Christian aspect of the holiday, why are you celebrating it in the first place? It IS supposed to be a Christian holiday, after all. Since I don't celebrate the holiday, I guess I'm supposed to be one of those people who get offended if someone says the dreaded "C" word in my presence. I won't get offended, I promise. I was a little worried a few weeks ago when I saw them taking the down the sign that's on the highway as you come into our town. It said something to the effects that our town believes and lives by the 10 commandments and is 'signed' by the town council. I thought our town had gone PC and felt the religious aspect needed to be neutralized. I was rather thankful that this wasn't the case as the 10 commandments sign was replaced by one reminding people to keep the Christ in Christmas. Once again, I don't do Christmas, but am not offended by those who do, even though I'm SICK TO DEATH OF CHRISTMAS SONGS. *deep breath* Okay, I'm better now.

This weekend, we picked up an elliptical exercise machine. I'm happy to say that I've had two exercise sessions on it so far and have lived to tell about it. I'm not sure what music is best to ellipticize to, but right now it's a toss-up between Billy Idol and the Brian Setzer Orchestra - so far Brian Setzer's ahead by a pulled muscle, but I'm sure Billy will catch up eventually. Talk about Billy Idol, Angel #2 and I were listening to the radio and Billy's Mony, Mony came on (#2's an Idol fan, too). I was telling her that it was one of those songs we used to sing at the top of our lungs to when we were in high school, inserting a few swear words into the chorus that weren't there in the actual version. I told her there were a few songs we did that to (though I was a good mom and didn't actually tell her what we said, I don't need to reveal all my sins, you know). Don't teenagers do that now? I asked. She shrugged, laughed and said that now days, the songs come with the bad words already in them, so they don't have to be manually added. Sigh, another rebellious joy of teendom that kids today are denied.

#2 also did a hair upgrade a couple days ago. Along with her bright red hair, she dyed the bottom couple inches of her hair purple, so she's got this weird tie-dyed effect going on. So now she looks like a two-toned muppet-head.

1 comment:

Tanya T said...

I'm so done with Christmas anything right now, and completely sick of hearing Feliz Navidad 16 times per hour,i'm about to snap!
Mony-mony.........i just about had a coronary at my wedding reception when this was played and everyone interjected their own lyrics to which i was praying my dear sweet Grandmother would not understand what they were saying or by some miracle be in the restrooms while it was playing!!! LOL,she never brought it up so i think she was blissfully unaware.