Monday, May 16, 2011

it's been here, now it's gone

Well, summer came on Thursday. We had a beautiful, sunny day and I even got a sunburn in the back of my neck when hubs and I went on a 5 mile walk. I'm glad I enjoyed it, since by 6 o'clock that evening, the clouds rolled in and we had a monsoon, which necessitated hubs and I making a mad dash from WE's track meet and rowing our truck home in the rain. Now that we had summer, fall is here and the temps are back in the 40's and it's so freaking windy I can't hang my clothes on the line. I'm suspecting frost soon, then snow, possibly a blizzard or twelve, then maybe, just maybe, we'll get another summer day sometime in mid 2012.

It looks like we're going to manage to get a garden this summer (if it even shows up), and I'm extremely excited for this. We haven't had a decent garden in years and I can't remember the last time I did some serious canning. The girls and I did a few city-wide rummage sales this weekend and I hit gold at the very first one we got to on Saturday. I managed to get a pressure cooker canner for only $10. It's exactly like the one I used to have that I had to get rid of when we moved to Hawaii. I was afraid I'd have to break out big bucks and buy a new one, (they range from $75-$200) so I was one very happy camper when I scored a used one that I was already familiar with operating. Now, I just need some canning jars.

2 comments:

JeanieC said...

Congrats on your find! Be sure to go to your county extension office and have them test the gauge. My mom took hers in every single year. :-)

Tanya T said...

Looks like this was a really bad year to adjust to Wisconsin all over again.I hope for all of us that it warms up soon!