Thursday, May 13, 2010

the end is near

I can tell it's getting to be the end of the school year as my social calendar is starting to fill. Yesterday was the Spring Festival at Angel #4's elementary school. The entertainment ran the gamut of the kindergarteners doing the hula to the 5th graders dressing like zombies and dancing to Thriller. Since my Angel was one of the zombies, it dawned on me that it was going to be the last elementary school concert I was ever going to attend for my kids. 5th grade graduation is on the 26th, then, after 13 years, my career as an elementary school mom is over.

Tuesday night was the high school Jazz and Concert band Spring Concert for Angel #2. This is the final concert for the Seniors and the band teacher always has a little ceremony, sharing a memory of each of the outgoing Seniors before presenting them with a candy lei. Next year, my angel will be on the receiving end of the lei. After going to the band concerts for the last couple years, I always wonder how the band is going to recover from the loss of 1/4 of their number every spring, but they always manage to land on their feet. The high school band is relatively small, only about 40 kids, and they're all a pretty close-knit group. The band teacher even had a hard time remembering some of the Senior's names during the ceremony because most of the band kids go by nicknames. Angel #2 has been Cheez for the last 3 years, I'm not sure if he knows what her real name is.

Saturday, our family is doing the United Way Charity Walk to help Special Olympics. The walk starts at 7am, which means we're going to have be to out the door and on our way at around 6am to get there in time for the sign-in. Waking up before six on a Saturday morning just seems so wrong, but it's for a good cause, so I guess I can do it this once. That evening, Rent-a-Grandma is flying in for a 10 day visit. We haven't seen her since our trip to WI last summer and it'll be great to spend some time with her. She's coming down for Angel #1's graduation on the 22nd.

Looks like I've got a busy couple weeks ahead of me.

1 comment:

Tanya T said...

Congrats to angel #1!! Drew's graduation is next friday. Hard to believe our 'babies' are all grown up now!