Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Does it never end?

We've hit another cold spell.  This is getting old real fast, people.  School was called off today, so at least I could sleep in, but I'm really looking forward to June.

The weather got cold on Sunday night/Monday morning.  Sunday night, at about 11pm, I was in bed and hubs was downstairs finishing a few things up before going to be himself.  I heard him talking to someone and I thought he hadn't realized I was already upstairs and was talking to me...I was wrong.  A few minutes later, he came into our room and said, you're never going to guess who's here.  Our random homeless guy from a few weeks ago showed up knocking on the door looking for a place to sleep.  Apparently he'd left a message on hubs cell voice mail saying he was on his way, but his messages are so long and rambling, that hubs just deletes them without listening.  The guy rode his bike, about 35 miles, through the snow and cold and dark to get here, so it wasn't like we could turn him away or anything,  not that we would.  It would be beyond wrong to send someone back out in that kind of cold.  Besides, once he thawed out, he spent 2 hours outside shoveling our driveway then went back out again yesterday afternoon and shoveled some more.

He does bring some rather interesting moments around here.  Apparently, the self-proclaimed smartest man in the world decided to cut his hair last night.  First off, when you're homeless, I would think you'd want as much insulation as possible, which would include hair on your head.  He didn't think this was an issue, so he asked to use our buzz cutter.  The smartest man in the world also didn't know how to use the buzzcutter and didn't think to ask us, so by the time he was done, it looked like he just finished a really wicked round of chemo.  He had long chunks of hair in the back of his head and some places he'd shaved right down to the scalp.  He was rather proud of the job he had done and claimed that it was just as good a haircut as some he'd paid for in the past.  If that's the case, I don't recommend his previous barbers.  WE came in after the haircut and was standing behind him looking at his head in disbelief.  He looked at me and mouthed the words "what happened?"  I just mouthed back, "he gave himself a haircut".  I though poor WE was going to keel over in silent laughter.  Eventually, I sat him down and shaved the rest of his head so at least it was mostly all the same length, though now that he's bald, I've got the feeling he's going to start suffering from the cold even  more.  Yet, he's still convinced he's the smartest man in the world.

No comments: