Sunday, November 10, 2019

Mother knows best

The other day at work  we had a guy come in and asked if we had any Vicks.  We asked what kind of Vicks and he said it's just called Vicks.  We grabbed him a jar of vapor rub and he said, This is it! and bought it.  I mentioned to my co-worker that it sounded like he had a cold and called his mom what would help and she told him to get some Vicks.  Later that afternoon another guy came in looking for Neosporin ointment, we showed him where to get it and when he was at the register I asked if he needed band-aids as well.  He assured me he had band-aids.  He burned his finger and called his mom and she told him to put some Neosporin on it.  They may think they're all grown up when they head to college, but they all still call on mom when they need help.  I get regular texts from WE asking for cooking advice.  He's turning into quite a chef. 

My band-aid add-on at the register is part of my mission to convince people they need to buy more stuff.  I don't push unneeded items on them, just suggest additional items to compliment what they're  already buying, a drink to go with their chips, etc.  My favorite is the pencils.  We've got this cup of cheap 25 cent pencils by the register and I'm determined I'm going to sell every single one of them.  Everyone who buys them always only grabs one pencil.  I just look at them intently and ask, is one going to be enough?  What if it breaks during class?  They always, without fail, buy at least one more, one guy even bought 3 more.  Afterwards I announce to my co-workers how many extra pencils I convinced someone to buy.  It's become a point of pride and they all think my customer manipulation skills are hilarious.  Everyone needs those little challenges at their job to help them get up in the morning and go to work.

No comments: