Sunday, October 13, 2019

Can I still call her my baby?

My baby, my youngest angel, my final attempt at creating the perfect child turned 21 years old today. That's pretty freaking crazy if you ask me.  All my kids are full fledged, alcohol drinking able adults now.  And if that's not enough to make me feel my mortality, another one of the kiddos got engaged this weekend.  Yep, Angel #1 proposed to the woman of his dreams on Saturday and they're getting married next year.  I wonder if this is how it's going to be, a wedding every year until they're all married off, then the grand babies will start coming.  That's what happens when you have your kids all in a row like I did.  So I've got plans to be in Miami in December of next year.  :)  The cool thing is that it was my idea to tour Villa Vizcaya last weekend, the kids liked it so much they went back this weekend and that's where he popped the question.  So that's my contribution to the engagement, besides birthing the groom-to-be.

This weekend we went up to visit WE and his wife.  We went out to dinner with our friends/daughter-in-laws parents on Friday and Saturday night both, which is always a good time.  They're such great friends and I'm so glad that we're sort of shirt-tail related to each other through our kids.  I feel so fortunate that not only do I love my son's choice for a wife, but I love her family as well.  I don't know Angel #1's prospective mother-in-law real well yet, we've only met her a couple of times and her English is limited, but from what I DO know of her, she's an incredible women.  #1's fiance and her twin sister were only 2 months old when their father was killed. Her mother raised those two little girls along with their 2 older brothers by herself, after moving to the US.  Can you imagine moving to a foreign country, not knowing the language, with 4 little kids all by yourself?  Not only that, she did an incredibly awesome job in the raising of those kids and they're all college educated adults with successful careers and good lives.  How can you not admire someone like that.  Plus, she already considers my little boy her son and it makes me feel good that even though he lives so far away, he's got family nearby who care about him.  Everybody wins!

1 comment:

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

Love reading the blog again, Dulcie! Congrats on all the good stuff in your family! Can't wait til you're a grandma. :)