Monday, June 15, 2015

I beat the rain!

It's been raining lately... a lot.  When it's not raining, it looks like it's going to rain.  Today was no different.  According to radar, it was supposed to start raining at noon, so about 8:30 I hopped onto the lawn mower to see what I could get done before the rain made it grow some more.  It was getting pretty long since it had been raining too much to mow.  I managed to get everything mowed in 2 1/2 hours.  Nonstop.  That's a long time to sit on a jiggly lawn mower.  By the time I got off, my legs were jelly and my butt was killing me.  My original plan was to just do the back yard and make Angel #4 do the rest, but once I started, I just couldn't seem to stop.

Once I got done, I needed to do some moving around, so I jumped in the car to go to the library and help take down after this weekends book sale.  I'd helped set  up last week and got a real workout, so I figured I'd do the same, only in reverse this week.  But we had an extraordinary number of volunteers this year and by the time I got there, they already had everything put away and they were just getting ready to leave.  Yay for them, but not so much for my noble exercise plans.  So, it was back home I went.

Once I got home, I ate a very healthy lunch of spaghetti squash covered in tomato sauce, then I went out to see how my garden was doing.  I started doing a little hand weeding, then realized I'd do better tilling first.  Once again, I'd planned on doing just a little, but I ended up tilling the entire garden, I then hand weeded the peas and replanted the corn.  I don't know if it's too late for corn or not, but the stupid birds had apparently eaten all my corn seed in addition to the other seeds they'd eaten, so I figured what would it hurt to throw more seed in and see what would happen.  I figured I was noble enough for the day and I went inside and took a much needed shower.  It was only then that it finally started raining.  So now I'm having a quiet afternoon listening to the rain on the tin roof.

Tomorrow I'm hoping for some sun so I can do some much needed laundry.  I refuse to use the dryer in the summer time, so the laundry's been really piling up waiting for some decent drying weather.  Ironic that California is suffering a drought when I've got rain puddles in my basement.  Isn't life funny sometimes?

No comments: