Saturday, July 20, 2013

On with life

Thanks so much for the sympathies Tonya and Afton, Dave will be missed by many people.  We were at the funeral yesterday and the family shared Dave stories during the service and it made me wish we'd known him better.  His family looked exhausted yesterday, so many people had gone through the receiving line, WE was at the wake on Thursday and said it was solid people for over 6 hours straight and the funeral service started late yesterday because the pre-funeral receiving line was so long.  WE was there last night and said that after it was all over, the family went outside and lit sparklers and released a couple of those paper hot air balloons into the sky and just celebrated life.  Now it's time for the healing to begin.

The heat wave we've been having finally broke last night.  We'd had steady temps in the high 80's-low 90's since Monday along with high humidity.  Around 8 last night, I went outside and noticed the temps had dropped to 73, so I shut off the a/c, opened the windows and enjoyed the fresh air.  When I let the chickens out at 6 this morning, the thermometer was at 64 degrees, what a huge difference.  I've got laundry waving in the breeze and the kids outside doing garden and lawn work, it's so nice not being stuck inside the house.

Yesterday morning, I heard motorcycles outside and saw that 2 Harley's were pulling into our driveway.  I didn't recognize either driver, they were both scruffy-looking guys with the bushy beards, leather Harley vests, motorcycle boots, the whole deal and I was wondering what the heck a mini motorcycle gang was doing in my driveway so I went outside to find out.  This big guy gets off his hog and says:  Do you own the property all the way to the county road?  I told him no, that was our neighbors and he explained.  He said, "We were driving along and I noticed all the martens flying around, I've never seen so many in one spot. I love martens.  Then I noticed the marten houses, those are the nicest I've ever seen and I wanted to talk to the person who put them up."  He then told me about the marten houses he had at his house and the houses he put up.  So yeah, the big hairy motorcycle guy stopped by because he was a bird lover.  You never know who you're going to meet.

No comments: