Saturday, September 10, 2011

Haystacks for Ahm-lets

Last night we went to a haystack supper put on by our local Amish community. All the proceeds go to their school. I go past the school quite often, it's only a couple miles down the road, and I love seeing all the bikes parked by the door and all the little Ahm-lets (Ahm-lets = little Amish) outside playing baseball in their suspenders and hats or the girls in their pretty blue dresses. I guess it says something about my hermitness to say that I knew more of the Amish people putting on the feed than I did of the 50+ people there chowing down. Anyway, after stuffing ourselves on haystack, hubs and I went for a stroll around the lake next door to our house to walk some of that awesome food off. (FYI, a haystack is a handful of crushed tortilla chips on a plate then meat, beans, lettuce, peppers, onions, cheese sauce layered on top of them and topped with crushed Doritos. For dessert, homemade pie and ice cream)

I dropped hubs off at the airport this morning. He's on his way to Hawaii for 10 days or so. On the way, he's making a side trip to San Diego and spending a couple days with Angel #1. He also had something he wanted to do in Austin, TX, but decided against it. A few days after his decision, we heard of the wildfires in that area, so I'm glad he's skipping Austin this trip. WE came along with us this morning and I left him at the airport as well. He was picked up by a friend who lives near the airport and he's spending the weekend there. I guess I'll see him again sometime tomorrow. He was looking forward to a little break. He's been busting his buns in Cross-Country - he had a meet last night and beat his personal best by a full minute. His time for the 5K is now 23:30. His ultimate goal is around 19 minutes since Angel #1's best 5K time is 19:20 and he really really wants to beat his big brother.

I've canned about 20qts of carrots in the last couple days and am getting a bit sick of doing them. I've still got about half a row left to pick, which will come out to about a 5 gallon bucketful. I put some in my new food dehydrator yesterday and they dried up real nice, so I think I'm going to do another dehydrator or two full and see how that goes. I'm also going to shred some zucchini and see how that dehydrates. Since I still haven't found my Mouli and it's really cramping my style, I picked up a salad shooter this morning for $2 at a rummage sale. I'll try shredding my zucchini in that and, with any luck, I'll be able to make zucchini cake this winter.

No comments: